Here’s an update:
- We moved more machines out of the “cage” (our ISP) into the Cloud. More money saved!
- We moved There.com (the web site) to the Cloud (and had some bumps on the way)
- Put all the new registration code on the QA service
- Built the “Legacy Avatars Table” which is where we get the clues about your old avatar when you reclaim it.
The upshot is that we still think we’ll make the end of the month for ThereIM, but it will be tight.
Now, for some questions to think about – I’ll put up a little poll later to get your answers. Do NOT indunate the blog with answers please at this time.
As you know we’ve got the process working which will restore your possessions, ignores, and buddies, and, later, virtual property such as houses, PAZs, hoods, lots, etc.
The problem comes with things like Clubs. As you know, we had thousands of clubs, most of them inactive, or with one member (or less).
When we restore you to There, we could restore all your clubs, but we’re not sure that’s the right thing to do:
- It’s very likely your Club mates won’t be back (yet), so you will find your club kind of lonely
- People may decide to start new clubs with the members who have returned, plus any new members, which will make the old club even more obsolete.
- If you’re not the leader of the club, it doesn’t matter how many of your old club mates show up, without the club leader, you’re going to have all kinds of problems. And it’s not possible for us to arbitrarily relinquish club ownership to the member(s) who have returned – you can imagine what kinds of problems that would cause.
So our choices will be (again, please don’t answer yet):
- Don’t restore any clubs. Get a fresh start all around
- Restore ONLY the Clubs you are the leader of. No additional members will be added to the Club, you’ll have to re-recruit.
- Restore ONLY the Clubs you are the leader of, and the members who are also already re-enrolled in There.
- Try to restore all Clubs as they were before, except those which were empty or composed entirely of members who have not returned.
The same issue(s) exist for League Rankings. What sense will it be for your to be the #1 Paintballer (well, I guess I should say “#2”, since I am by definition #1) when everyone else below you hasn’t returned (and won’t?). Worse yet, how would it be to be #3, know you’ll never get to #2 because #2 will never come back? The idea of letting people re-compete for standings seems to be fair, on the surface at least.
Please think about these issues, and I’ll put up a WordPress survey later today.