Here’s this week’s update:
- SamSyn is building a new client with a passle of fixes for all kinds of little problems
- Thanks to BABs and other GP3D’s, we’ve solved (we think) the lag problems – one was due to a router setting, and another the last (we hope) of the “internal-external IP address” issues. Yay GP3D’s!
- Nametag colors will be correct again. NO, you can’t choose a new NameTag Color.
- We’ve also put in some experimental fixes for inventory slowness. We thought this was what was causing the lag issues, so the fix isn’t really necessary, but it was a silly thing, so we fixed it anyway.
Here’s what’s going to happen this week:
- SamSyn will make sure the new client doesn’t break anything.
- We’ll send it to the existing GP3D’s
- If all goes well, we’ll invite 10 more GP3D’s (NO, we don’t need volunteers 🙂 ).
- The GP3D’s Mark IIs will be encouraged to do all kinds of kinetic activities – racing, etc, etc.
- They’ll be allowed to drop PAZ’s, etc, but everything will be picked up again before we open
- We’ll be adding more sectors to the world and loading more scenes. This will teach us how much of a load each cloud server can support.
Some other notes (less happy ones I’m afraid)
- We know a number of you had items which were in your inventory which were..broken (as far as we were concerned), but still did cool stuff. Like act like 1-seater buggies. We have NO guarantee we’re going to be able to restore these broken items. We know they were very valuable to some folks, but they were broken, and we’re not sure if we can, or should, re-break them. Not saying we won’t, but there are no guarantees.
- We won’t be guaranteeing old PAZ locations any more. Why?
- It doesn’t seem right for us to “Drop” x1000’s PAZs and have them burn up their clock time, especially when the old owners may not be here yet (or ever).
- To pre-drop all those PAZs means we’d have to have set up the sectors to support them, even if their owners aren’t here (yet). This is kind of a waste of computing resources, and $money$
- “PAZ” means “Portable Zone”. Not sure we can be held accountable for guranteeing a location of something which was by definition transitory.
I think that’s all for tonight 🙂