SamSyn/Bruce will be putting out a new client / server release today, to cover:
- Hopefully the final fix for Flash windows “going away”. This is not the fix for the “Black Bar” issue.
- Fixes for high server load in certain situations, mostly associated with giant inventories for people that have not spent much time in world yet. Recall that, unlike the old There, people are getting their inventory objects all at once, rather than over time as they purchase them. This causes the system to behave very differently than it did before, and can cause problems. It is not associated with slower servers, more lag, # of people in world, etc, etc, (as I turn a glaring eye at certain well-known doomsayer).
- A bunch of other fixes, which I don’t have handy.
Hopefully you’ll all update with a patch, just like the good old days.
- You probably don’t need to report the “Black Bar/Border” issues with Flash any more. We’re aware.
- Thanks for the crash dumps, we appreciate them. I’m hoping the SegVios we’re seeing are all a common issue with DX8 introduced with the “materialization” code, but that’s a guess. It sure seems consistent.
- We know there’s a problem with some vehicles bought with custom paint jobs, etc. We know we can restore the various “parts” you’d bought for cars, but we did not (and are not sure we can) restore these pre-configured vehicles. We’re not saying we can’t ever, but we’re not sure we can actually make them come back. We know this is disappointing, but remember, the fact we are able to restore most of what everyone had was a gimmee (we were happy to do it, but it’s still a gimmee). So no threats of lawsuits, calls to the BBB, demands for refunds, etc. Thanks.
- We know the “Groovy Buggy” is now the “Transparent Buggy”. That’s actually a side affect of the code now doing something right and honoring a transparency that was always there. We’re not sure if we’re going to “fix” (or, re-break) this. It looks pretty cool like it is, I think, but that’s just me.
- Remember, we plan to pick up every PAZ dropped during this period before we re-open. So don’t get attached to them.
- While I’m enjoying political discussions here, be warned, I’m allowed to chime in too, and I have editorial power here (it’s my Blog, after all). I may even require the use of punctuation.
Our next things to address are (barring illness and various internet failures at our distributed office :-):
- Do what we can about the Black Bar Bug. Converting the rest of our controls – Message Bar, Change Me, etc – to Qt is not going to be on the agenda before we re-open.
- Resurrect ThereBanker with PayPal.
- Add PayPal subscription support to PayPal.
That is all.