Event, Hood, and Decorating Changes
Based on your suggestions, the following changes are either in, or upcoming:
- “Empty” spots which are truly empty will no longer have a “Populated” icon at all.
- SamSyn is testing a new filter (actually exposing an existing filter) to filter out empty events in the various events pages. This will be controlled by the browser, not the event owner (duh)
- SamSyn is going to work on making it possible for ‘hoods to have permanent co-decorators. This could lead to There owning hoods in some landmarks or important areas and allowing designated members to “maintain” them (decorate, hold events, etc). Currently, a hood co-host can decorate a hood, but the decorations only last for the event, which is suboptimal for this purpose.
- Bruce is working on a script to automatically add Hoods and Zones to the maps – a previously manual process. We of course may need to tweak the “automatic-ness” of this process, but it will be better, and more accurate than the current situation.
We are also looking into Lowering Prices, perhaps on Hood Rental, or Developer Submission Fees. We’re making sure we don’t shoot ourselves in the foot this this one, but lowering fees and subsequently cratering revenue.
Deleting inactive 2D Avatars
We have started sending our warning emails to people who registered 2D Avatars, never subscribed, and have not logged in for many, many months. We’ll be sending out warnings at 30 days, 2 weeks, 1 week, and after we delete the avatars.
Keep in mind that many of these avatars have, frankly, Fake email addresses, and won’t get the mail. We’re not quite sure how we’re expected to warn those folks :-).
Unclaimed Legacy Avatars will NOT be impacted. They will remain encased in Carbonite.
Of course, if there’s some hole in this process, we have lots of time to change it. What we don’t want to do is give people a license to “Park” Avatar names, especially the “Good Ones” forever, which is what some people have done.
By the way, congratulations to Bruce, who wrote the Avatar deletion script. He accomplished something which the Old There never got around to doing for 10 years. Of course, he and SamSyn got There to run “in the Cloud”, which the old There said “Couldn’t be done”.
We continue to work on:
- Global Chat experiments
- “Real Money” transactions for developers.
Things we’re NOT working on.
We’re NOT working on:
- Events in PAZs. We looked at this many times over the years, and it won’t work. The biggest problem is the fact that a PAZ can be picked up at any time, which includes just before the event, during the event, etc. Also, since you can drop a PAZ in (for example) a thoroughfare, and have a private event in it, you can, effectively block the thoroughfare. On top of that there are many other technical infrastructure problems which would make this difficult and a questionable use of time.